Sunday, February 19, 2012

64 days left

Several of you have asked what I am planning to do before I leave for Georgia, so instead of pumping out another 1500 words on Madison politics (and having my sister send me a critique about begin insensitive to members of the public unions here in Madison) I thought I would publish my plans.  I am trying to see as many people as possible and am definitely open to any invitations people send my way, so if you have an idea, please shoot it my way.  


More after the jump (and there is a party invite too - keep reading).







Until at least March 30th - working on the campaign in Madison.  We're busy pretty much every weekend from now until I leave, so there isn't really a chance to take off and see people on the weekend.  


April 1 - 3 -  Chicago to visit my old roommate Mike and a few other friends in town.  You could include an obligatory comment on how awesome Chicago is, etc etc, but we all know everybody has a blast in Chicago (as long as they don't go to the south side) so I'll leave it out.  Only real plans are to knock off a few items from my "To do before I leave" list - Cubs games at Wrigley and stogies & scotch on a rooftop.


April 3 - 5 - Drive back to Dallas.


April 9 - 12 - Back to back to back to back Rangers games.  My parents were generous enough to indulge one of my other "list" items - See as many Rangers games as possible before I leave.  Even though the Rangers are playing the Mariners, there is nothing like a game at the Ball Park at Arlington in the spring.  Especially a day game.


April 13 - 16  - Travel to Denver.  Drew moved to Denver this month and I would be a fool if I didn't go visit him and Mary before I took off.  The timing also allows me the opportunity to visit Denver University before I go overseas.  DU is on the short list of schools for me to apply to grad school for while I am overseas.  Hopefully I get accepted to one of them and can start the September after I return.  So I have a tour, meeting with an admissions counselor and an opportunity to sit in on "Human Rights and National Security" while I'm in town.  All in all a solid weekend in Denver.


April 20 - PARTY!  A good friend and his wife are kind enough to help plan one last party before I leave.  More details to come, but everyone is invited.  I want to see as many people as possible before I leave (Bring friends.  Bring people I don't know.  I don't care.  I just want to party), so hopefully a lot of people can come.


April 21 - Dinner with my parents.


April 22 - Fly to staging in Philly.  This is just a brief 2 day "Welcome to the Peace Corps" training where you get a chance to meet everyone you'll be with in your country.


April 24 - Fly to Tbilisi, Georgia.  Pretty self explanatory.


April 25 - July 14 - Training in Georgia.  4-6 hours a day of language training, lots of technical and culture training, learning to shower without hot water, etc.  Then a swearing in ceremony at the Ambassador's residence in Tbilisi before we begin our actual service.


And then I'm off.


So that is it.  Those are the plans.  There are a few other things I am trying to do before I leave (Visit to Austin, Visit to NYC, etc), but I'm not 100% positive I'll make them happen quite yet.  These other ones I know will happen.  


Like I said, I want to see everyone.  So if you want to hang out, let me know.


Hope you enjoyed it,


J








(See liz, no politics this time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment