Thursday, January 26, 2012

How the Change happens



"D
ear Uganda Invitee –

I wanted to reach out and welcome you to the Uganda class! 

 Some of you I have already been able to speak with via phone.  I wanted to give you a heads up that the Uganda class has a slight delay.  You were
originally slated to depart from the U.S. at the end of April.  We have had to push this departure four weeks - to the end of May.  This is due to an unforeseen event whereby the
exterior wall of the office in Kampala has fallen and made access to the current office unavailable and our operations unable to support an incoming class of 50 on schedule.  The
U.S. Ambassador requested PC Uganda find a new office immediately and we have just secured a new location.  (This event jeopardized other properties in the same vicinity.)

Due to this event, Uganda Staging will be May 22nd and 23rd in the U.S. with an arrival into Uganda on May 24th.  Because we have bumped you once (and feel guilty), we are offering
you the ability to join another training class earlier – IF – this will benefit you and your schedule.  There are other classes that are leaving sooner and can accommodate you." 


I received the above email from the Peace Corps just over a week ago. I didn't have an immediate inclination to leave my previous Uganda commitment, but I thought it might be a good idea to at least weigh my options.  I followed up with the program coordinator and found out that a program in eastern europe had an opening to leave at the same time as the original leave date for Uganda (late April).  After doing some additional research into languages, timeline, program options, stability, etc I decided it was time to make the switch.  

The only downside: I had to wait until the following week to accept the actual invite, as the PC had to mail the package to my parents house back in Texas.  As soon as the packet gets to my parent's house I'll post the new location here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment